Thursday, January 31, 2008

Wereld Kampioenschap and Belgium

It's so hard to believe that last week I was in Belgium racing my bike in the Masters World Championships of Cyclocross. What an experience!! I met so many cool people along the way and learned a lot too. The race itself was only an hour out of the whole trip, but will leave a lasting impression in my mind forever. The two days leading up race I was able to ride the course quite a bit as it was right out the back door of our cabins. It was very technical with tight twisty singletrack, roots, drops, bermed corners, and of course SAND, SAND, and more SAND.

Race day started with an early jump down to the registration place to get signed up. The place was bustling with bikes all over outside and inside was packed with cyclists. The officials said my age-group was missing the shoulder numbers so to come back in 30 minutes. I hung around and waited for a minute and happened to be first in line... receiving none other than #1. How cool! I went back and ate breakfast, had some espresso and prepped for the day. I was able to watch some of the other people in our group race in the morning and the lines had significantly changed from the day before. Some sections were now rideable where they weren't on Friday. The weather was super windy, light rain, and around 40 degrees. I did my warmup on the roads around the park for a solid 30-40 minutes and seemed to be as ready as I was going to get. Typically I don't have jitters before a race, but I did that day. I had to keep telling myself to focus, calm down, and that its just another race... do what you do and race your race.

The whistle blows for people to come to the bullpen for callups. They start calling random numbers to the front row. Mud&Cowbells Greg gets a front roll callup as does his buddy Kurt. Many more names and numbers called, then finally... #1 Kyle Bush United States in a heavy Belgian accent. I was back in the 4th row and was just hoping to make up some ground. I chatted with a nice guy next to me for a minute as the rest were getting called... David Lenoir who was wearing a French national skinsuit. One minute. Its on now. TWEET! We roar down the wet pavement for a solid 400-500 meters into the hard 90 degree left. I'm still in good position and make the turn, no crashes yet. Into the sand, made it about 15 feet before I was forced to dismount and run. I felt like I passed 50 people running, but surely didn't. Got around the corner and back on the bike, ride the beach section and then blast thru the deep sand up onto the single track (people were going down everywhere). Over the first root drop, twist turn, more sand, another root drop, more sand. Still holding solid but the guys in front of me are bobbling a little so I give some room. Get passed by a couple guys near the pits. Up the first runup and remount on the top "hump"... get all jiggy down the backside in the sandy soil. Down the dropoff into the sandtrap and ride it! Up the next runup, more sand then more twisty single track back to the pavement. I jam it on the pavement and pass a couple guys and really hauling. Lap 1 down... only 40 minutes to go. I really help my position until the last lap when my lower back was hurting pretty bad and I got sloppy. I was riding the sand almost all the way to the beach, which is a feat in and of itself, which probably contributed to my lower back pain. I had been taking a left line thru this one deep sand section and this time I got pulled far left and was going off-course right at one of the big wooden posts. I almost had to leap off the bike to avoid it by somehow missed it and went thru the tape. Back on course and two guys had passed. Made it around to the pavement and the leader laps me at the start/finish. 37th place out of 53 starters. Can't say it was my best performance, but I did beat some of the Euros. Not last, but did get lapped which I was really trying to avoid. I was there amongst Belgian champions and former world champs so considering, I'll take it.

All in all my most amazing cycling adventure/experience ever and can't wait to do it again next year. What I will do different is to go earlier and race more over there. The courses are different, way more technical, and the pace is uber fast. Starting to plan next year NOW! After the race I caught up with Monsoir Lenoir and exchanged emails, saw Greg and crew and got the debrief. Just a well run event with actual certificates of participation for all the racers. All I can say is get over there and do it. Already have people onboard for next year.

No comments: