Monday, December 10, 2007

KS State Championships = Snow Cross

The snow wasn't too deep, but it was frozen and crunchy out in the prison town of Leavenworth, KS. Temps were around 20 with windchills in the single digits. Luckily or unluckily the cat3 race was the last one of the day, starting at 2:15. At least this gave me time to spend with the fam in the morning and not run off at first light. The forecast had predicted freezing rain, but that held off until today, only some light snow and cold weather. The weather did scare off a few, but the usuals were all there and ready to rock it in the snow. This is actually one of the first wintery weather races we've had this season. I am the defending Missouri State Champ from last year, but the race was being held in St Louis, so had to skip it due to the weather and driving time.

Line up, get the whistle from behind and it's Go Time! Nail it and get the holeshot. Lead the first lap, taking some of the sections cautiously as I didn't pre-ride the whole course. About 3/4 of the way through the first lap a guy passes, but immediately goes down cuz he took the corner too fast. He's back up and I just grab on and don't let him get too far ahead. Another guy goes by me at the start/finish area and now I'm sitting in 3rd. Not feeling too bad, but not feeling that strong either. Not sure when the next two went by but think it was about midway through the 2nd lap. Just keep going strong and now to try to reel these guys back in as I'm now in 5th.

The Start


kB got the holeshot


End of the 1st lap
Bridge up, Rest, Attack, and Repeat. Three times and now back in 2nd, but Pink Pippy Longstockings is on my tail and I can't seem to shake him. Bell lap and I'm pinning it out of every corner trying to get a comfortable gap, but he's still there. Finally nearing the finish and my fave spot on the course, a long straight away the turns left into a downhill with another immediate left, so essentially a 180 with a downhill on the turn. Each time I'd use those moto-x skills...put the leg out and let the ass end slide around and get right back on the gas. This time didn't let it swing out too wide and really stood on it and got a gap and sprinted to the finish line. I really had to work for that 2nd place. Now on to Nationals, just a few days away and nasty weather hitting hard in KC.





Snow Angel

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey honey your blog is great see I do read it. Good luck this week with Nationals you will be great!!!