Sunday, December 2, 2007

Boss Cross #2 - From the Banks of the Mighty Mo

The finale of the Boss Cross series took place on a true 'Crossy' day in the city of Parkville. For the past two days we've had rain, freezing rain, and temps in the 30's so it was bound to be muddy. The course was right on the banks of the mighty Missouri river in a little park. There was lots of sand fo' sho' and a couple wet muddy sections. The places that were not truly muddy, were soft enough to suck the energy and juice for everybody's legs. The winds were howling with gusts in the 30's which had to bring the wind chill down into the teens.

I got my pit bike built up this week so was ready to finally have them both at a race. Even better I had my boy Bob there to work the pits for me. True Pro stylie, pit man Bob in the coveralls ready to handle whatever the race might throw at us. The start was pretty typical with most of the usuals lined up and ready to roll. Ready Go! and we're off. I take 2nd into the holeshot and sit on the leaders wheel for the better part of the first lap. I pull away and have a pretty good lead for the next couple laps, then come the "Kid" and he goes by but I'm attached to his wheel like a tick! We have a good gap on the rest of the field and next thing you know Chris misses a corner and I take the lead again and pull away. Another lap and I'm going over the bridge which then drops off about a foot into a downhill section... big wind and I land a little sideways on the front wheel and roll it. I stopped quickly and find the tubular rolled in a small section. I push it back on and have to make my way 3/4 of lap back around to the pit thru big mud puddles, muddy ruts, and sand sections. The kiddo gets a big gap on me and I roll into the pits and do it true "Pro" stylie with Bob holding the fresh bike and taking the old without missing a step or letting the chase get a second on me. Unbelievable!! First pit bike change and it came off perfect. Bob's my pit-man for sure at Nationals, great practice run.

The rest of the race went like this. Songer is on my wheel for at least two laps and I know he's resting up back there ready to pounce. He makes his move and I try to stay on. It doesn't happen and his gap gets to at least 100 meters. Chris aka the "Kid" flats and we go past him while he's running to the pits (a long way). Try as I might, I just can't bridge up to Songer. Damn, the "W" has contined to elude me all season and I ended up 2nd place. Things could be worse, much worse and each race I feel a little stronger and always seem to have some unexpected challenge to deal with. A tire, a crash, detour, you call it.... experience is the best teacher.

No comments: