Sunday, October 14, 2007

Season Opener ... Chris 'Cross Intl


Finally the Cyclocross racing has begun. It poured rain yesterday with a high in the 60s', and the thought of cold weather and mud filled my dreams last night. But as the day wore on, it became a balmy 78 degrees with sunny skies. Sweet, I only have a long sleeve skinsuit as the rest of my kit hasn't arrived, nor my bike (another topic). On with the race report.

kB pulling the train


Rolled up to the start and got a decent position in the 2nd row, but as I looked around it became apparent that there were a couple local legends that were going to lay it down. That just meant the start was even more important. Ready, GO!!! Fast start down the pavement, sitting about 10th into the hole-shot. I quickly made up ground on the first bumpy section and moved up about 5 spots. Through the quad barriers that were 2ft high, the winding whoops section, treacherous creek crossing with rocks and log(photo of Matt-Cat), and back out onto the road.
There was lots of gravel and rocks so I opted to not use the Dugasts today and went with the Ksyrium/Mud combo(good choice). After we got through the first lap, things spread out some and it was me, Ridley teammate Jeremy, and young Team X'er sitting in 5,6, &7. It really stayed that way for the next several laps until some guy came blowing through us, I tried to stay on his wheel but you know how that goes. Down to the bell lap and Team X kid moved in between us and I couldn't shake him with multiple accelerations. He sat on my wheel until the last turn onto the pavement and passed me, then my teammate rolls by. Lost 2 spots in the last 50 meters, boo. All in all the day was good, with no major mistakes, and I'm happy with my placing. Could have had a better start, and should have communicated more with my teammate about some alternating attacks to drop that kid. Shouldn't have pulled the whole race either. Off to Denver in the morning and a rest week, woo hoo, then back to racing next weekend, can't wait. Just want my freakin' X-Fire delivered, SOON!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

nice field of low-growing poison ivy there by the logs... look out!