Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Capital Cup Race Report

Race #3 of the season was out in the capital city of Kansas. Topeka is around 75 miles or so from KC, had to budget a little extra time in getting out there on a great fall day. The morning was a cool start in the mid 30's with mid 50's expected at race time, purrrrfect. I finally broke out the Cane Creek carbons with the Dugast Rhinos on the long flowy course. Front row start and ready to rock it... break my chain in the first 500 meters. So I dug into the 'cross survival kit I take to all races and fish out a replacement chain.

Sign up for the 1/2/3 race, feeling a bit nervous as I'm lining up with Steve Tilford and some of the other fast locals. I take a 2nd row start and ease out of the gate. It didn't seem like a fast start but quickly the pace picked up and the field strung out until I was dangling off the back. The rest of the race was pretty much a solo effort aside from trying to chase down the 2 guys in front of me. Its all good experience and if I had to do it all over again I would have been more aggressive at the start and tried to hang in. Finished 13 of 16, not last and I didn't get lapped by Tilly.

No comments: